Monday, August 1, 2011

A Grand Tour of Barcelona

Day 32

I'm totally in love with Barcelona!  I came not knowing what to expect, and I was most certainly surprised by her hidden treasures!  Today was a full day of exploring!  It was fabulous!


The Sagrada Familia has been a highlight of my European tour.  I had seen pictures, and I wasn't sure how I felt about this (newly consecrated by the pope) minor basilica, with it's almost sand castle appearance.  After seeing it in person, I am beyond impressed.  Gaudi had such a complete approach to his work.  I loved how each facade, as they are completed, have significance and tell of Christ in a biblical and even personal way.  


It is obviously way more than just a "sand castle!"  :)


 I was amazed to learn (from William, our tour guide) of Gaudi's study and use of the hyperboloid structures. 


I think I was most impressed by the interior.  The stained glass are perfectly in Gaudi's style.  It is a cathedral in a way you would never think of one, and that is especially impressive after seeing so many.  The pillars, the iron railings, the choice of materials... it all is put together beautifully.  It is amazing that this is only the beginning.  I can't wait to come back in ten or twenty years and see the work they put into this incredible building!


These are the doors at the back of the cathedral.  Gracies means thank you in Catalan. 


Another of Gaudi's incredible work that we visited today.  I am completely in love with his use of mosaic tiles!


This is the Torre Agbar (the "gherkin" of Barcelona).  It was designed by the French architect Jean Nouvel.  It was amazing to see this building up close! 


We toured the modern architecture district around the Torre Agbar.  As you can see, this is the reflection of it in this fantastic orange colored building.


After a long day of touring we headed off to put our feet in the Mediterranean Sea!  That is the "W" hotel in the distance... wish we were staying there!  Perfect way to end the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment